Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Face Negotiation Theory


The face negotiation theory is a very complex yet understandable theory. I find the theory interesting and fascinating. Let’s define the concepts of terms, shall we?
  1. Face – The self-image others see in you. It is your dignity, status in life, and the like values.
  2. Face Negotiation – How people would adjust to the “faces” of different cultures.
Question: Do you agree or disagree with the theory's proposition that different cultures, because of the differences in perception and attitudes toward "face", use varying strategies for conflict management. Why or why not?
  • Yes, I do agree. Because there are different cultures in different nations. As what the group had shown us, there are different greetings in different countries. The culture is a factor in the resolution in conflict. Obviously.
Question: Based on experience, what do you think is your conflict-management style? (Refer to the group's report). Tell us of an instance that proves this.
  • Based on my own experience, I would have to say I’m the “Dominating” kind of person. I stand on the ideas I conclude but then I listen to others’ points as well. I’m open to resolve the problem unlike the “Avoiding” people. An experience I had was when Regie Hizon, Andre Puruggann, and I were fighting over certain biblical beliefs (yes, I know. It’s too religious). Background! Regie, Andre, and I are Christians so when we don’t coincide in beliefs, we argue and go on about it because it’s unlikely that we don’t agree on something – especially something that is of the Bible. In this experience, Regie and I were tag teaming while Andre was left to stand on his belief. No matter what he told us, I still didn’t shift beliefs. We were literally debating… in front of 7-11. It was embarrassing, I admit but none of us actually seemed to care. We went on and on until we realized that it was 11pm already. The point was no matter what he told us, I still stood firm in what I believed in.
Question: Based on your analysis of this experience and of your conflict management style, what kind of face negotiating strategy do you use more often? Face-giving, face restoration or preventive facework? Define your understanding of the term and explain why you think so.
  • Face Giving – In my own understanding, I could define this as me saving someone else from public humiliation, either by humiliating myself with him/her or tag teaming with the “humiliated”.
  • I will explain how I am this kind of person by giving an example. I had this friend and he was “strutting his stuff” on the hallway. There were a lot of people so he got more motivated to “strut his stuff”. As he was walking, he slipped on the floor – butt first. People were secretly laughing at him, but you know, the usual, they won’t do it in front of him so that he won’t get offended. (But obviously, he did). I was with my other friends when I saw him. They were laughing… really hard. I saw that he was turning red and that he was doing a fake smile to hide it. So I just said “Uuuuy! Ang sama niyo. Kapag ‘yun ba nangyari sa inyo, magugustuhan niyo bang pagtatawanan kayo?” (Yes, it’s dramatic.) Eventually, my other friends stopped laughing and they said sorry to him, thus saving him from further humiliation. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment